kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Corn Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Caecilian . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Blood Python . . . . . . . . . .  The Indian Eyed Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Ahhhhhh, Spring . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Tegu . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Mangrove Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Barbour’s Map Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Chameleon . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Skink . . . . . . . . . .  The Kingsnakes of Florida . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Mother's Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  The Ground Skink, Scincella lateralis . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Fabulous Post Rob!!!! np -

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]

Posted by redwards99 on May 07, 2003 at 23:57:33:

In Reply to: Fabulous Post Rob!!!! np posted by Double J on April 04, 2003 at 12:13:37:

Hey, I am new to this board, but some of the posts remind me a
lot of things I have read in the coral reef boards over the past
almost-20 years - like people claiming absolute knowledge of
things that they have neither first-hand knowledge of, and for
which there is no conclusive evidence. Despite statements like
"Frogs are territorial", I don't think you can draw the
conclusion that ALL species and ALL individuals will suffer in
a mixed environment. There are many species of reef fish that
are territorial, but given a reasonably sized tank, with lots of
rockwork and corals so they do not have to stare at each other
24 hours a day, they are just fine - and even that varies from
individual to individual. I can't imagine that it's that
different with frogs.

By no means am I encouraging anyone, newbies or experts, to mix species, but I do wish that those who claim to have the
ultimate answers would temper their responses with a bit of
honesty and reality.

As for those who claim that their only concern is to "benefit
the frogs themselves", that is somewhere between
shortsightedness and out-and-out BS. Unless you are engaged
in scientific research, or increasing the population of
threatened/endangered species, then there is as much benefit
for YOU as the frogs. There is nothing wrong with that, but
unless you have the $$$ to EXACTLY duplicate the ecological
niche that a species is best adapted to, don't claim that your
sole concern is the benefit of the animal.

-Robert

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]