kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Corn Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Know your snakes.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ]

Posted by tedn on April 07, 2003 at 17:18:38:

I found a coral snake on Saturday and it reminded me of the first one I caught.
I was about 14 years old and had a keen interest in just about anything that moved especially snakes. While checking out an old building, hoping to find a rat snake, I happened to notice a small snake crawling just outside the door. It had the red yellow black bands encircling it's body but at that time I had never seen a coral snake or scarlet king. I knew it was one or the other but which? Let's see red touch yellow? Red touch black? I couldn't remember. The snake was moving fast and was about to disappear underneath the building. I had to make a quick decision. Taking off my shirt I pounced attempting to confine the snake within the folds of my shirt. Out came the snake biting the shirt in the process, I again flipped a portion of my shirt over the snake attempting to once again wrap up the animal.
Out it came again biting and plenty mad narrowly missing my hand!
Finally I got it under control wrapped up in my shirt. What to do now? I had no snake bags with me so I looking around I found a brown paper bag and dumped the snake into it. Of course when I got home I looked the snake up and found it was a coral snake. I was lucky. If I had been bitten anti-venin had not been developed yet for this type of snake. You can bet after that experience I always was able to recognize a coral snake!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ]