kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Corn Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: YES to Lighting for crocodile skinks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Skink Forum ]

Posted by Ophidiophile on April 11, 2003 at 17:16:34:

In Reply to: Re: YES to Lighting for crocodile skinks posted by iwana on April 11, 2003 at 16:34:09:

:Wow, that's really interesting. Thanks for the info! I wonder why the others would say they're nocturnal.

I think they're characterized as nocturnal because they mostly hide during the day. But then, they also mostly hide at night too. The truth is that even in the wild, Tribs move around very little. I have observed them in the wild many times. They live underneath rotting wood though they are ocasionally found in leaf litter or piles of coconut husk or sago palm scrapings. They tend to make a little road that goes from their favorite spot under the rotting substrate to about 6 inches beyond it. They run out to bask and when one approaches they scramble under again. If you sit quietly and watch, they'll come out again a few minutes later. You can go back to the same spot every day and see them using their little road. So basically, the territory used by Tribs is very small and their primary activity is hiding. Because they hide so much during the day I believe many have characterized them as nocturnal. But at least during the day they come out! At night in the wild they sleep under their logs and don't come out at all - at least I've never seen one cruising around at night.

The picture above is 2 tribs caught in the wild (and released) on March 27th, 2003.

-David

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Skink Forum ]