kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Guttata x Obsoleta???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by Dre on May 12, 2003 at 21:10:27:

In Reply to: Guttata x Obsoleta??? posted by Will Leary on May 11, 2003 at 15:28:59:

:Is it possible that a very small population of Cornsnakes, isolated/confined to an area with a large population of Black Rats, will interbreed with each other (places such as the mountains of western NC)? I am well aware that they are separate species, and that this type of intergrade is contrary to contemporary thought in the field of taxonomy. However, I have collected Corns in my area that have a very dark pattern, and in some cases, lots of pure black "splotches" (unlike the "normal" Mountain Corn). I have also encountered adult Black Rats with well defined patterns and lots of "red" on their sides and dorsum.

:As you have probably gathered by now, I am of the persuasion that Corns and Black Rats do indeed interbreed under such circumstances, but I would like some input (or correction) from a few of you Corn experts. The next time I find a good "intergrade" type specimen, I will certainly post some pics. Until then, I hope you enjoy the Corn pictured above (collected in Swaine County, NC, NOT an intergrade). BTW, I thought I read somewhere that recent DNA studies have shown that "all" species of Rat Snake are actually indiscernible, taxonomically speaking????

:Thanks in advance for the input!

:Will Leary <><
:Reptilicus Reptiles(.NET)

:
:Hey Will
You made a very good point I believe there out there[corn x blk ] it's only natural ..right .I have caught blk rats with red ground colors[skin]with red peppered scales thought out there body. Those blk rats were all ways caught in the montains part of MD.We have corns here too ,but I never caught one i'm looking lol..

Has anybody wonder why there aren't any greenish rats from SC to FL .You here about the greenish rats in NC and see them in the classified...what about the other states ..just food for thought !
later Dre'

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]