kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Second Opinion?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by Raven01 on March 07, 2003 at 09:50:24:

In Reply to: Second Opinion? posted by JayBauer on March 06, 2003 at 13:38:55:

I was taking Storm to Dr. Scott Stahl (Eastern Exotics/Pender Vet Clinic) in Fairfax VA. Between my experiences with him coupled with his reputation, I didn't go elsewhere. Another reason I decided to go ahead and go through with it is that Storm had suddenly developed a respiratory infection on top of the whole inside of his mouth turning grey colored. He didn't come into contact with any other infected or non-infected reptiles and nothing in his care had changed since the day I got him. The respiratory infection just popped up in a matter of days along with the off coloring and the spread of the infection from his jaw. He was treated through the month of December with injections and a topical salve and then regularly since then with the topical salve to help the area heal. With the exception of going through one shed back in January or early February, there was absolutely no change at all in the infected area. There didn't appear to be any healing taking place and all the opened area did was scab over. Even after his shed, there was no difference in its appearance. He just wasn't responding to treatment. I did let the local vet who performed the euthanasia to also look him over and she agreed that there was probably an underlying immunity problem as the cause for his not responding to treatment. While she doesn't actively seek reptile patients, she did train for them and does try to keep abreast of treatments. I simply trust Dr. Stahl more both because of my experiences with him and his outstanding reputation. Ultimately, it came down to the decision of whether I wanted to keep putting him through all that I was, without any change in the problem, or to let him go peacefully. As much as it hurt to let him go, I just felt it was more fair to him. Sigh. I really wish things were different. Even though I have a few animals that I use in my breeding program, they are still pets first. Storm wasn't even going to be used for breeding, he was strictly a pet. If nothing else, I learned from this experience to never buy an animal with even a small, innocuous looking flaw - I just get too attached to the little critters. :(

Raven

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]