kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

W. TX , bad news

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by John Hollister on June 01, 2002 at 12:33:14:

I've been hitting the same areas of west texas for over 30 years, and in the past couple years have noticed some very distubing things with regards to animal populations. These would seem not to be temporary aberrations due to weather, but serious declines which should alarm everyone, not just herpers. Some observations will follow.
In certain areas of Culberson, Winkler and Andrews county I have in the past been able to spot 40 to 100+ kangaroo rats of all types in just a few miles of driving. Last year I saw very few. Last night I saw a total of TWO bannertails in Winkler and Andrews counties. The same goes for pocket mice throughout the whole of west Texas - I'm just not seeing them except rarely and sporadically.
In the past, I have always seen numerous horned lizards in Culberson county, including some of the largest ones I've seen. It has been nothing to see 20-40 of them, both Texas and Roundtail, in 20 miles of driving in the late afternoon. Last year I saw perhaps 4 all day. Thursday I saw a total of one DOR and 1 live, and both of them were small.
Many, perhaps all, snake populations are down. There are many areas where I should be seeing 10-40 snakes per night. Some species, such as longnose and glossy snakes, have always been present. This weekend I saw one glossy snake in Jeff Davis cty, and one juv. trans pecos ratsnake in the Davis Mts. That was the total for 1030 miles of driving. Blacktails in some areas have been common enough so one was assured of seeing 1 to 3 or 4 in an area. This year expect to see none.
I have not seen a banded gecko out in the open this year.
I saw a total of ONE Mediterranean gecko in Langtry a couple weeks ago, where I should have seen 20+.

I usually see numerous scissortailed flycatchers at this time of year. This year I haven't see one. I usually see 20 to 50 or more nightjars. This year I have seen one.
I have seen one owl, where I should have seen 5 or 6.
Even the rabbit populations are down. In areas where in the past I've had to slow to 25 to slalom through the jack and cottontails, now I see only a few.
I have only had to swerve once this year for a deer. I am seeing almost NO deer alongside the highways.
I saw no pronghorn in two days.

The list goes on and on. The only animal of which I have seen more than usual this year has been Racoons.

Do not think this is a result only of extended drought. I've watched this area through worse droughts ad was still finding animals. In talking with others the best we can come up with is pollution from Mexico. The west Texas area is alkaline. The acidity of the pollution from the anthracite burning electrical plants, and from the thousands of factories opened in Mexico is most likely the culprit.
For this you may thank NAFTA and the absolute greed of many american corporations. You may also thank the government of Mexico, which could care less about OSHA and the clean air acts of the U.S. Mexico could care less about heavy metals and toxic waste going into the water system. This is a country in which toilet paper hs put on the floor or into a wastebasket because they don't want it flushed into the system. Are there ANY water treatment plants in Mexico, or is it all flushed into the rivers?

I heard NOTHING about the ancillary problems which would arise when NAFTA was proposed. Ross Perot spoke only of the sucking of jobs to the south of the border. Rampant pollution was not mentioned. Tens of thousands of trucks entering the U.S. from Mexico daily was not mentioned.

Well, I'm digressing. My main hope is that some of you will become outraged by the damage being done to the U.S. by Mexico - pollution, abuse of our highways, abuse of tourists going to mexico, abuse and over-use of water, etc. The illegal aliens is only a small part of it, folks. Don't forget the drugs, either. Massive drug growers in Mexico. GET ANGRY! Get OUTRAGED!! Tell your politicians how totally PO'd you are with them for allowing this go happen. Write your newspapers. Write whomever you can. Make a stink, make some noise. it would seen that the "anything for a buck" ethics of the Clinton administration is carrying over into the Cush administration. Lets try to get some politicians in office who have some ethics, who care for something other than power and money.

And DO IT FAST! Based on what I've seen over the past few years, pretty soon herping in W. Texas will be over. There just won't be anything to see.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]